Monday, March 30, 2015

The Reservation

            It is not fair to not be able to pursue our dreams and futures in the place we call home. It is a daily struggle when our fears and talents are tossed into a mixture of discrimination and segregation that never ends. These statements are fairly similar to the ideals Junior, from "The Absolutely True Diary of A Part-Time Indian," had to say about his Indian reservation home. In this reservation, the people were very well known to each other, no one ever left and it was common to have many people die from a form of alcoholism.
            And yet, after finishing reading the book, there seems to be a parallel between my community and Junior's rez. The parallel would be the closeness in my community. Having very talkative parents myself, they are the ones always have the greeting welcome to anyone who walks by. I have lived in my neighborhood since I was two years old and I find  it fascinating how familiar I am with the neighbors. Sometimes, in the summer, my mom even gives some of her lovely plants to the neighbors just so they can start and grow some flowers in their garden.
            In the end, I guess an Indian reservation is such an extreme from the place I live today since the parallel that joins these two worlds could easily be seen around the globe. It feels nice to have a common element to share with everyone despite all of the cultural and regional differences going on in today's society.

No comments:

Post a Comment